Monday, January 17, 2011

Trail Destinations- Appalachian Trail Hike 1 Maryland

This summer, I am planning on doing my first multi day hike (IF I am ready for it :) ). After looking over the list of different places to go on the east coast, and coupled with my wanting to hike the AT, I am going to start with a 4 day trek through Maryland. The AT stretches from Georgia and ends in Maine. This is a very long hike, and most people have to tackle the AT in pieces.

I have begun planning and am looking to start in Pen Mar and to end in Harper's Ferry. It looks like the trail will run about 40 miles, so if 10 miles per day or more is our average, my backpacking partners and I should be able to do this in 4 days.

One thing that is very important for any hiker to do before embarking on a trip is to learn how to use a map and compass (something I am admittedly a novice at).

The following is a short little explanation of how to do this. Once I learn more on the subject, I will be sure to post a follow up article on Map and Compass use.

 
Words can't express how excited I am to embark on this adventure. I plan on leaving late May, post graduation. I think this will help to give me a sense of peace and direction before beginning my career!
 
Until next time..
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment