Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Trail Reading - "Appalachain Trail Guide to Maryland-northern Virginia" and "A Fork in the Trail"

After looking through a great deal of books, I decided to purchase a guide to the area that I will be backpacking this spring/summer.



I also picked up a GREAT backpacking recipe book! This book has it all from snacks, all the way to mouthwatering desserts. If you have a food dehydrator there are TONS of recipes that sound delicious, there is even some kind of Thai soup which I can't wait to try! As soon as I get my dehydrator I will be sure to post individual recipes, reviews, and pictures  for all to see.




Although I have a long way to go in terms of training, I'm getting in better shape through indoor rock climbing. I'm hoping one day I can combine the two (climbing and backpacking). Its really exciting for me to have come this far in such a short amount of time. I can climb up an intermediate wall, and I am getting much more comfortable both on belay and when I am climbing. I even ordered a harness so that I won't have to rent one every time I go! Next on the agenda is shoes, but this is a pretty pricey sport so I am taking my time with getting the right equipment.



In just a couple months when the weather starts warming up I am going to start on a couple overnight hikes in NY (Harriman) and in the Adirondacks. Since Phil was finally able to find some new hiking boots, we are going to have to break them in for sure ;) Lucky for me it will help me to break mine in some more too.

With school starting it's going to be a busy few months, but I am optimistic that on weekends I can get some good hikes in. I can always bring my homework with me and read at night with by headlamp :)

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment